The Rush Munro’s story began in 1926 when Englishman Frederick Charles Rush Munro arrived in Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand, having learned the confectionary trade from his father. With just 10 pounds in his pocket he and his wife Catherine set up shop, on 26th May, in central Hastings.
The range gradually expanded to include 100% natural, real fruit ice creams, all made to Frederick’s own recipes - the same recipes we use today.
After their shop was destroyed in the devastating 1931 earthquake, they moved to the current site in Heretaunga Street. The shop evolved into the world famous Ice Cream Gardens – now a Hawke’s Bay landmark and Kiwi family tradition.